Can you help identify this chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by buffslat, Mar 20, 2012.

1. buffslat

buffslat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    I bought a chick that said it was a gold sex link. It looked just like all the other chicks in the bin, but now that it is getting some feathers it doesn't look like any pictures I can find.
    Here is a pic of her wing. If you can give me any ideas it would be great.

Thanks
    Steve[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gold Sexlinks (Golden Stars, Red Stars, Red Sexlinks, Cinnamon Queens, Golden Comets, whatever you want to call them) are a "hybird" created so that the chicks have different colored down and can be sexed by color at hatching. This means that they are a mixed breed and, depending on the breeds used to create them (RIR or New Hampshire crossed with White Plymouth Rock, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Delaware, etc) and on the particular bird they can vary in shades of golden/brown/yellow. No two will look alike because they are not pure, do not breed true, and are not bred to be a specific shade/color or have a certain body type.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  3. Kara515

Kara515 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    Sure has some pretty feathers coming in!!! Larry says if you need some glasses to get a better look at your new chicks, he can tell you a great place to get some!! [​IMG] Did you see that TSC had some Gold Sex Links also? They also had a bin of "Red Pullets". That sounds exactly like what Fleabuskitty was describing! I will be wanting to see pictures as the baby grows more feathers and changes!

4. buffslat

buffslat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    I understand about the cross breeding, but was just wondering if the coloring looked right or if I might have something else. I actually like the coloring. It is different than what I was expecting.

Yes I saw those at TSC, but they want you to buy 6 at a time and that is more than I want at the moment.

5. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Yeah, I guessed you would know about the cross. What I meant was that they can be a variety of colors and that yours does look like a Gold Sexlink. Although it also looks like a lot like a New Hampshire, but if you were told Gold Sexlink I would just go with that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by