Can you help me develop a FIRST AID KIT for my chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GretaGarboFirst, Jan 6, 2015.

1. GretaGarboFirst

GretaGarboFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have had chickens for only 9 months. I read all the forums and am realizing i would not know where to begin to pull together basic chicken medications! Would you all suggests the "must haves" for my new kit? Also, where to purchase the meds or products.

It would be an "OUNCE OF PREVENTION" for many of us chicken people. Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most of the supplies can be purchased in local farm stores, Walmart, or online. Some are optional.

I would get some vet wrap, 2x2 gauze, Betadine or Chlorhexadene for disinfecting, plain antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin,and a package of disposable scalpels, all for doing bumblefoot surgery if necessary.

Corid (amprollium) liquid or powder for treatment of coccidiosis.

Tylan 50 injectable antibiotic, a box of 3 ml syringes, and 22 gage needles for treatment of respiratory infections or enteritis. This can be given as a shot or given orally without the needle.

Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment for eye injuries, infections, or peck wounds. Neosporin can be used in an emergency.

Worming medication-Valbazen, though expensive, is the best since it treats any chicken worms with 1 dose, and repeated in 10 days.

A poultry vitamin/electrolyte combination such as Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell, or a powdered one such as SaveAChick or Rooster Booster Vitamins with Lactobacillus (which includes a probiotic.) Note that Nutri-Drench does NOT contain riboflavin, so use something else for riboflavin deficiency.

Probiotics for use in the water once or twice a week to promote intestinal immunity, and to help prevent enteritis. Probios Dispersible Powder and Gro2Max are good brands.

A 60 cc/ml syringe and a piece of aquarium tubing (with one end burned with a lighter to round off sharp edges.) This is for tube or crop feeding in an emergency when a chicken is not eating or drinking.

Sevin dust, Poultry and Garden Dust (permethrin) to treat for lice and mites if you ever have an infestation.

Dog crate, medium size to isolate an injured or sick chicken.

Dog nail clippers to trim spurs or toenails. Blood stop powder.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. GretaGarboFirst

GretaGarboFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thank you very much. What is Coccidiosis? Also, are eye injuries common? What are the major causes? I will work on the first aid kit over the next several weeks. This was very helpful.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Also add Blue Kote and No Peck Lotion. Something else I keep on hand are Pinless Peepers for hens that decide they need to pick other hens feathers.

Another piece of advice - natural remedies are OK to use for helping out the immunity systems of chickens. But, when natural remedies are no longer working, please use medications that will put a stop to the problem.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Eye injuries are common when chickens peck each other in the eye. Eye infections can also be fairly common, and can be a secondary infection in respiratory diseases or from fowl pox. Coccidiosis is an intestinal infection caused by a protozoan found in the soil. There are at least 9 strains that affect chickens, so it can be a problem more so with young chicks as they develop immunity to it, but also with grown chickens who move from one soil to another when sold. Here is a good link to read about it: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

Here is a good link to read about the various common diseases in chickens:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Another link that will let you read more threads about first aid kits:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=first+aid+kits

6. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I have a small extra feeder and waterer that I use to deliver any water-soluble or in-feed medications with relative ease and control, like Wazine, Corid or aureomycin.

7. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I keep "animal towels" to wrap birds for treatments so they don't flop around and to cover crated birds to keep them calm.

8. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Styptic powder is good one to add to the list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by