Can you help me diagnose what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by franjfl, Oct 12, 2015.

1. franjfl

franjfl New Egg

Oct 12, 2015
    My chicken Dale is a brown hen I got her aged 6months to a year, she is now 3 to 3 and a half years old. This time last year she molted and hasn't really laid since. She laid a lash egg 2 months ago but I didn't know what it was. 2 weeks ago she laid a lash egg which was pure liquid uncooked scrambled egg. Two days ago she laid a normal egg. Today one of the other hens was running round with a hard boiled yolk, I think it came from Dale. She hasn't laid anything else that I know of.....I bathed her today as she had a poopy end but her vent was perfectly clean. She then laid a poop which looked like insides?? I am concerned she is not a well chicken, especially as chip my other brown hen which I had from the same person at the same time got egg bound and had to pass on a few weeks ago. I noticed a couple of my flock have started the odd sneeze which Dale has always done when scratching any one got any ideas? Very worried. Thanks

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I think you are right to be worried. It sounds as if your hen has salpingitis - an inflammation of the uterine system. It can be viral or bacterial, but it sounds like your hen is bacterial.
    If you have the ability to get to a chicken vet, I would advise you to do so. She needs to have antibiotics, although this may not prevent an unhappy outcome.
    There is a previous post here about a hen with salpingitis - maybe you can glean some info. on antibiotics from there, keep us posted please, Sue

3. dough13

dough13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2014
    I would put her on antibiotics I had this problem with a hen almost exactly the same age she layed weird yolk looking egg etc similar to what you described in the winter then layed nothing and i thought it was because of the cold but approx a couple months later she ended up having a huge lash egg inside of her and 5 or 6 smaller ones & i had to put her down. I read that it could have been from an infection like boskelli is suggesting. At least your hen seems to be passing the lash eggs so that is a good thing, the antibiotics might help so its worth a try. . Here is some more useful info http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  4. franjfl

franjfl New Egg

Oct 12, 2015
    Thanks, I will speak to the vet and let you know.

5. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there - what was the outcome for your hen?

6. franjfl

franjfl New Egg

Oct 12, 2015
    Unfortunately she passed away.

7. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Sorry to hear that, you tried your best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by