Can you help me figure out this Roo's breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mnmfarris, Feb 13, 2013.

1. mnmfarris

mnmfarris Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2012
    Tonopah, NV
    This is Fred. He is a mix we received from a local farmer friend. They have a Salmon Fav. roo, Ameracauna roo. The hens they have are: ameraucana, PBR, white leghorn, Frizzles (black) and not sure what else. Any thoughts as to what Fred's combo breeds might be???? Although this photo doesn't show it - he is starting to get some gray/silver feathers on his legs - AND he has awesomely beautiful gray/silver feathers speckled on his body and under his wings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Amaraucana

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    feathered legs leads to the salmon fav. roo unless the frizzles are a feathered leg breed as any breed can be frizzled

the ee's and salmon fav both have beards...so [​IMG] how many toes??

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. ChickenLover603

ChickenLover603 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    ameraucana mixed with salmon faverolle

5. mnmfarris

Apr 17, 2012
    Tonopah, NV
    Fred has 4 toes. Ameraucanas have pea combs, but.... maybe a combo with Fav? Someone here said maybe RIR in the mix - but don't think the Farmer has/had a RIR.

6. mnmfarris

Apr 17, 2012
    Tonopah, NV
    OK. Just found this thread about "Favacaunas" - an unofficial breed crossing between a Favorelle and Ameraucana. There's a pic on there of a rooster that looks like a slightly older version of our Fred. This may be the answer! Also, they mention on here that some of these have 5 toes, some 4 on one/ 5 on the other - and some 4 toes. The hens end up with pea combs, but the roos have a comb like Fred. Unless someone else has some more compelling evidence. (lol) I think this really may be the answer. Cool!

http://blog.mypetchicken.com/2012/08/17/favaucanas/ Here's the link.

Here's the pic of the Roo mix:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by