1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you help me figure out who is laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HennyPennyHenHouse, Nov 1, 2011.

1. HennyPennyHenHouse

HennyPennyHenHouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have 4 chickens, 28 weeks old. I have 2 buff orpingtons and 2 speckled sussex. Five weeks ago, a buff orpington layed the first egg. A few hours later, another egg which I assumed was from the other buff. I now consistently get one egg a day, sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon. I have only seen one of the buffs lay for sure. According to my thinking, if I had 2 hens laying, there would be days I get one egg, days I get 2 eggs and maybe a day here or there when I get none. No, it's always one egg a day. So what do you think? Do I have one hen laying or two hens? Could one hen have layed the first and second egg in the same day?

And when might I expect the sussex to start? The nights are getting cooler here, down in the 30s, days still in the 50s. Could the sussex possibly wait until spring?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The coloring of the egg should be noticeably different, I should think. Sounds silly, but with less than a dozen layers, it is fairly easy to learn each layer's egg by color, shape, and time of day laid. After a dozen, even I get confused. [​IMG]

3. HennyPennyHenHouse

HennyPennyHenHouse Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    So far, the eggs look very similar, same color, same size. So I guess they are all from the buffs, just wondering if it is from one or 2 of them.

4. chaosfactory

chaosfactory Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I had 5 laying hens and was only getting one egg a day for weeks...turned out it was the raccoons getting the extra eggs and they left no sign until they started taking my chickens! Now I'm down to one and had to get a new batch of babies once I sealed up the coop better!!!

5. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    I'm not sure what color your speckled sussex are, but I didn't know what girls were laying the first eggs until I inspected the tiny feathers left in the box. I knew it was a BR in one box. Since then I've seen her in there, it's her favorite box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by