1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CAN YOU HELP ME GUESS THE GENDER OF MY CHICKS? PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lindz8504, Sep 29, 2013.

1. lindz8504

lindz8504 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    I currently have 4 bantam buff cochin chicks and 3 black copper maran chicks. They are 3 weeks old today through Wed (staggered hatch).

BUFF COCHIN BANTAM #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

F. BLACK COPPER MARAN #1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BUFF COCHIN BANTAM #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

F. BLACK COPPER MARAN #2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BUFF COCHIN BANTAM #3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

F.BLACK COPPER MARAN #3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BUFF COCHIN BANTAM #4 (SUSPECT 90% COCKEREL)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. ShayBaby

ShayBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Lucasville, OH
    BCM1 and Buff4 are your definite males. The others are still a bit young to tell and could still go either way. Post in another week or two and they might be easier to identify, especially the BCMs.

3. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    I was really hoping that all the BCMs were females... [​IMG] All 3 of the BCM's were hatched 3 weeks ago today. The buffs were hatched from Sunday to Thursday 3 weeks ago. I will wait a few weeks and post updated pictures as well!

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its still a little young to tell for sure. However, here are my guesses:

Buff Cochin #1: Not sure, but comb isn't reddish yet, though it is a little large. Tentatively guessing pullet.
    Black Copper Marans #1: Definitely rooster. The comb is way too red and large for a three week old pullet.
    Buff Cochin #2: This bird has a more developed comb than #1 Buff Cochin. The wattles are also beginning to come in. Though its too young to tell for sure, I'm going to guess cockerel for now.
    Black Copper Marans #2: This bird is not as developed as the other FBCM. I say pullet.
    Buff Cochin #3: Small comb, so I'm guessing pullet.
    Black Copper Marans #3: Another guess for pullet, judging by size of comb and comparison to the almost definite cockerel.
    Buff Cochin #4: 100% cockerel.

Post some more photos in a few weeks so we can tell a little better. For now, though, you seem to have two certain roosters.

6. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't offer too much here Lindz, to me looks like a few boys in there. I am keen to see how they feather out and learn some more as they ge a bit older.

Good luck for bountiful pullets!

7. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Ok, so all 3 of the Maran chicks turned out to be roosters and two of the Buff Cochins are roosters as well. Since I was wanting dark eggs, I went back to the breeder and picked out 3 more chicks. One is roughly 2 weeks old, and the others are between 3-4 weeks. I compared them to what mine looked like at the same age, and I am hoping that they are all pullets!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Bens-Hens

I am not experienced with those, but they look 'girly' to me.

9. lindz8504

Jul 24, 2013
    Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
    Thanks Ben! That is the only thing I was going by too! I am new to all this as well! Your eggs go into lockdown tomorrow right?

10. Bens-Hens

Yeah, fine tuning the hatcher today, tomorrow they go in for lock down......I am very excited! We have 7 Wheaten Marans in there too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by