CAN YOU HELP ME GUESS THE GENDER OF MY CHICKS? PLEASE!!!!!

lindz8504

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
I currently have 4 bantam buff cochin chicks and 3 black copper maran chicks. They are 3 weeks old today through Wed (staggered hatch).

BUFF COCHIN BANTAM #1

F. BLACK COPPER MARAN #1

BUFF COCHIN BANTAM #2

F. BLACK COPPER MARAN #2

BUFF COCHIN BANTAM #3

F.BLACK COPPER MARAN #3

BUFF COCHIN BANTAM #4 (SUSPECT 90% COCKEREL)

Last edited:

ShayBaby

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
Lucasville, OH
BCM1 and Buff4 are your definite males. The others are still a bit young to tell and could still go either way. Post in another week or two and they might be easier to identify, especially the BCMs.

lindz8504

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
BCM1 and Buff4 are your definite males. The others are still a bit young to tell and could still go either way. Post in another week or two and they might be easier to identify, especially the BCMs.
I was really hoping that all the BCMs were females...
hu.gif
All 3 of the BCM's were hatched 3 weeks ago today. The buffs were hatched from Sunday to Thursday 3 weeks ago. I will wait a few weeks and post updated pictures as well!

Wyandottes7

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Its still a little young to tell for sure. However, here are my guesses:

Buff Cochin #1: Not sure, but comb isn't reddish yet, though it is a little large. Tentatively guessing pullet.
Black Copper Marans #1: Definitely rooster. The comb is way too red and large for a three week old pullet.
Buff Cochin #2: This bird has a more developed comb than #1 Buff Cochin. The wattles are also beginning to come in. Though its too young to tell for sure, I'm going to guess cockerel for now.
Black Copper Marans #2: This bird is not as developed as the other FBCM. I say pullet.
Buff Cochin #3: Small comb, so I'm guessing pullet.
Black Copper Marans #3: Another guess for pullet, judging by size of comb and comparison to the almost definite cockerel.
Buff Cochin #4: 100% cockerel.

Post some more photos in a few weeks so we can tell a little better. For now, though, you seem to have two certain roosters.

Bens-Hens

Songster
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I can't offer too much here Lindz, to me looks like a few boys in there. I am keen to see how they feather out and learn some more as they ge a bit older.

Good luck for bountiful pullets!

lindz8504

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2013
Blue Ridge Mtns in NC
Ok, so all 3 of the Maran chicks turned out to be roosters and two of the Buff Cochins are roosters as well. Since I was wanting dark eggs, I went back to the breeder and picked out 3 more chicks. One is roughly 2 weeks old, and the others are between 3-4 weeks. I compared them to what mine looked like at the same age, and I am hoping that they are all pullets!

Top Bottom