Can you help me identify breed of chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clkingtx, Jan 7, 2010.

1. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Hey, all.

I am trying to figure out what kind of chickens I have. I ordered all variety straight runs from Ideal, 50 standard, 25 banty, and 25 duck. Does anyone know what I ended up with? Here are some pictures:

ducks:
    [​IMG]
    bantams:
    [​IMG]
    standards:
    [​IMG]

I think I have 1 standard chick in with the bantams(a mostly black one), it just seems a little weaker than all the others, so it is staying with the smallest babies. I am going to go to the hatchery websites and look at baby chick pics.

thanks,
    Carrie

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Wow, lots in there. Murray McMurray hatchery has some of the best chick ID photos, so try there. Off hand, I can see Buff Orpingtons (yellow with pinkish/orangish legs), Easter Eggers (some of those chipmunky ones), maybe a Barred Rock or two (black with yellow dot on head), and I can never remember what those reddish chicks are because I don't have any (it's a pretty common breed, Rhode Island Red or something).

Hope this helps. I'm no use for ducks or banties, don't have either one.

Leg color can be important so be sure to consider that when figuring out which chick matches which picture.

3. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    I am really excited, there seems to be a large variety of chicks! I like orpingtons, and my mom will be tickled that we have easter eggers! I will look at legs, to see what's what. I was looking at the McMurray hatchery website, and they do have really good pictures!
    thanks,
    Carrie

I will post some more pictures, closer shots maybe of individuals

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    HOW MANY CHICKS are there? 150?

5. crazyforfeatheredfriends

crazyforfeatheredfriends Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2009
    Arizona
    Wow, what a bunch of cuties! How fun!! I see a couple of muscovy ducks in there, yellow with the little hook at the end of the beak. The dark ducks are so hard to tell, maybe Mallard? I agree that McMurray has great pics of each breed as chicks. I see a few barred rocks and definitely some rhode island reds in there. Other than that, I'm sure there will be others more experienced to help, Good luck![​IMG]

6. Julie_A

Julie_A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Brewton, Ala.
    I thought I saw Muscovies, too! Good luck with your babies!

7. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Sorry, no idea but I really need me some ducks [​IMG] OH, and some chickies [​IMG]

9. clkingtx

Dec 1, 2009
    There are 26 ducks, and about 82 chickens. I am just having so much fun, and my daughter really likes them. She wants so much to touch them, lol. When I was getting them situated, I had her throwing food for them.

That is awesome that there are muskovys! That is a kind I was really really wanting.

Carrie

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Can you try to get some photos with more lighting? It is hard to tell what they are with the yellowish lighting. And maybe a little closer up. I will probably take more than three photos to get them all in pictures.

Congratulations on your new chicks. I won't be getting mine until April.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by