Can you help me identify *fixed my pictures*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mkpovak, Jul 13, 2010.

1. mkpovak

mkpovak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Maine
    We got these chicks from a gentleman who had 100+ chickens these are just the fertile eggs he collects and then hatches. So no clue on what they are but would love some guidance. I am looking for guesses on what breeds they may be and sex.

I will tell you my guesses as for who is a hen and who is a roo can you let me know if I am right or wrong?

Two hens and the little black hen in the back
    [​IMG]

I am really sure she is a hen - she is very sweet and talks to me all the time

[​IMG]

Roo
    [​IMG]

Our big sweet Roo (he just started crowing so I am pretty sure he is a roo)
    [​IMG]

One of the hens facing the camera (the big red one) and the brown and black one is a roo I think -- he must be a bantam variety of some kind because he is tiny compared to the rest, he's got a poofy head.
    [​IMG]

I think the black one is a roo (he is pictured above) and the gray white one I think is a hen but not sure
    [​IMG]

I also have another solid black one that same size as the brown and black rooster but she is very fast and apparently camera shy so no shots of her, she got some poofies on her head as well.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    So I think that in the 1st picture, the guy on the left is a roo. The other 2 girls. The others I'm not so sure about. They are nice birds!

3. farmer geek

farmer geek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    3rd picture looks like Barred Rock

4. mkpovak

Mar 21, 2010
    Maine
    Oh wow those pictures came in small let me go fix that so you can see better [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    1. Roo left, pullet right.
    2. Pullet. Funny her coloring makes her look like 2 different chickens stuck together. Very pretty.
    3. Roo
    4. Roo
    5. Center - 3 roosters Pullet #2 in back
    6. Roo left, need a better closeup of the one on the right, but suspect it's a roo too.

6. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    1. the one on the left roo
    2. hen
    3.roo looks like a barred rock
    4.roo
    i dont know what the rest are hope you find out soon what they are hope i helped you

7. mkpovak

Mar 21, 2010
    Maine
    So by that count we probably have 5 roos and 2 hens! I guess we'll be keeping one roo for the winter then so the girls have company and everyone can stay warm in the coop this winter. I should really hunt around for someone looking to give away some hens or something shouldn't I? I worry two hens in a coop in Maine won't make enough heat to stay warm.

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Ya, I agree with new2chooks.

I vote you keep the Blue Crele ( # 4 Pic). What pretty babies you will have with your hens. If not wish I was closer. I'd take him in a heart beat.

You could go back to the farmer and get more chicks. They still have a few months to grow before it starts to get cold.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Barred Rocks don't have rose combs & slate coloured legs.
    The birds are all mixed breeds. I love the split in the middle bird in the second picture. Very unique.

10. mkpovak

Mar 21, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:I think we will keep him, he is the nicest (the black and white one is mean, the brown and black one is skittish and , and the red one is getting mean, the whitish/gray one seems fine though). That big guy follows my husband around the yard all day waiting for him to uncover treats. Plus as silly as it sounds I love how he runs -- just like a T Rex which is how he got his name.

Is the little brown and black rooster a Polish Bantam mix of some kind? I may try to rehome him because he is so pretty, but the rest may end up as broilers (which was our original intent for all of the roosters I just never imagined we would end up with such a rooster heavy group).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by