Can you help me identify the breed of these chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmdsparrow, Sep 23, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I got these 3 about a week and a half ago at a county fair and don't know what they are. The 4H lady showed me some grown birds that she thought they would grown to be, but she wasn't sure. Is it too early to tell?
    [​IMG]
    Penelope here has very short wings and a cotton ball butt. It's like a big poofball on her rear. She also looks like a penguin at times when she stands tall. The others are able to fly, but she struggles.
    [​IMG]
    This is peteunia. She is very tiny, but pretty bold.
    [​IMG]
    Blanca is the most bold and the most advanced. Yesterday she was on my shoulder in my classroom and she flew off to the floor.
    Any help in trying to identify them would be appreciated. They are just so cute and my students are really enjoying them.

2. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
  3. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't know for sure but the yellow one looks like a Buff Orpington and the dark one might be a Black Astralorp. Better check the breeds thread to be sure. If that's what they are you will like them. Mine are 4 weeks old and two of my most loving chicks! Congrats and good luck with them

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The top one does look black australorp and the bottom could be buff orpington but are the feathers comming in white? maybe Delaware are they all the same age? cause the bkack australorp maybe a roo ( no tail feathers yet) The second one not sure

5. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Thanks. I reposted in the Breed section. I didn't see that section. Could I have a roo? I can't have a roo. We are not allowed to have roos here in New York City.

6. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    If you got them at a fair, you've got a good chance that there's a roo in there. Even if you got them as sexed pullets from a hatchery (or someone else who knows what they're doing) you've got a 1 in 10 chance of having a roo. they're too young yet to tell, especially with not knowing the breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by