Can you help me identify the breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kymom, Nov 4, 2014.

1. kymom

kymom New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Here are a few pics of the month old babies we have. We bought two assorted clutches (one all hens, one a straight run). I know it is too soon to identify the Roos, but I am befuddled every time I try to determine breeds.

1.[​IMG] Myrtle

2.[​IMG] Maude

3.[​IMG] Gertie

4.[​IMG] Betty (not pictured is Boo). They are HUGE. Three times the size of my others.

5..[​IMG] not named yet. These have golden brown feathers, but a yellowish head and throat.

6.[​IMG] Here is a bett

er look at #5's head.

7.[​IMG] These have dk brown/black feathers with a white head

8.[​IMG] Mostly white body with black feathers and a white head. I believe this one is a roo because his comb is already turning dk pink but he is a real show off and his feathers on his neck and head stand up when he is challenging another chick (he appears to be the dominant one also). Might name him Martin

[​IMG] These are just a couple more (kinda like #5). They rarely are separated from each other.

Thanks for any and all help! There is one (and it may be the one in the center of photo 9), whose feathers appear grey and dk brown. I just can't tell if that is the one.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Number 8 may be a salmon Faverolles cockerel. Does he have 5 toes? I agree with Wyandottes7 suggestions on breeds.

4. kymom

kymom New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Thanks so much! What do you mean by Production Reds?

5. cash money

cash money Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    There pore quality breed wise rir

6. kymom

kymom New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Murray McMurray Hatcheries

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Wyandottes7's guesses. Production Red means a generic red bird from a hatchery. Most hatcheries sell their production reds as Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires, but true RIRs or Hampshires look quite different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by