Can you help me identify the breeds?

kymom

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 3, 2014
Here are a few pics of the month old babies we have. We bought two assorted clutches (one all hens, one a straight run). I know it is too soon to identify the Roos, but I am befuddled every time I try to determine breeds.

1. Myrtle

2. Maude

3. Gertie

4. Betty (not pictured is Boo). They are HUGE. Three times the size of my others.

5.. not named yet. These have golden brown feathers, but a yellowish head and throat.

6. Here is a bett

er look at #5's head.

7. These have dk brown/black feathers with a white head

8. Mostly white body with black feathers and a white head. I believe this one is a roo because his comb is already turning dk pink but he is a real show off and his feathers on his neck and head stand up when he is challenging another chick (he appears to be the dominant one also). Might name him Martin

These are just a couple more (kinda like #5). They rarely are separated from each other.

Thanks for any and all help! There is one (and it may be the one in the center of photo 9), whose feathers appear grey and dk brown. I just can't tell if that is the one.

Last edited:
Here are a few pics of the month old babies we have. We bought two assorted clutches (one all hens, one a straight run). I know it is too soon to identify the Roos, but I am befuddled every time I try to determine breeds.

. Silver Laced Wyandotte

2. Barred Plymouth Rock

3.Light Brown Leghorn or Welsummer, probably.

4. Betty (not pictured is Boo). They are HUGE. Three times the size of my others.
5..Production Red

7.Not sure.

8. Not sure.
Production Reds

Thanks for any and all help! There is one (and it may be the one in the center of photo 9), whose feathers appear grey and dk brown. I just can't tell if that is the one.

Number 8 may be a salmon Faverolles cockerel. Does he have 5 toes? I agree with Wyandottes7 suggestions on breeds.

I agree with Wyandottes7's guesses. Production Red means a generic red bird from a hatchery. Most hatcheries sell their production reds as Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires, but true RIRs or Hampshires look quite different.

Back
Top Bottom