Can you help me identify this breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lovefarmanimals, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Lovefarmanimals

Lovefarmanimals Chirping

Jul 19, 2017
    SouthWest Georgia
    Hi! First of all i want to say i'm new to raising chickens, and i tried an experiment 7 months ago when i was hatching eggs in an incubator. Out of curiosity i put it in there 3 Farm house free range eggs that i had bought at Walmart. One out of three hatched and this is the result, but now i am not sure what breed this is .. can anyone help me or have any clue as to what she can be ? (I named her Wally) thank you in advance. 20180303_122320.jpg 20180303_122257.jpg

the eggs she lays are a nice orangie/brown which is the reason i sucessfully tried hatching her in the first place. The top egg is Wally's egg and the bottom lighter egg is just for comparison

20180329_085005.jpg

nminusyplusm, PennyM and SueT like this.
  2. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Wow! I can't believe a Walmart egg hatched! Who'd have thunk they are even fertile!!!! And she's gorgeous!!!!!

3. Lovefarmanimals

Lovefarmanimals Chirping

Jul 19, 2017
    SouthWest Georgia
    I was in shock also when i saw her move inside the egg for the first time. They were caged free eggs, and i'm guessing it was preserved in the fridge, i let it sit for about a day in regular room temp and set her in the incubator. Thank you! Wally is a nice hen she is a docile bird a bit skittish but really nice , and her eggs are just beautiful. I just wish i knew what breed she is

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  4. gladahmae

gladahmae Songster

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Looks a fair bit like and amber link to me? They're usually white with varying amounts of red leakage.

5. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Wally, lol. I love it! She should go down in the BYC hall of fame! (is there one??) Someone else hatched some store bought quail eggs recently. As for breed, many egg producers use hybrid crosses for better production so they may be mixed. I am surprised they had a rooster. If I were you, I'd send that pic to the producer, maybe they have a website. And if they responded, we'd love to hear their reaction!

6. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop
    Congrats on hatching the Walmart egg, first of all!:woot
    She would be a mix of hybrid laying chickens, red sexlinks no doubt because of her red and white feathers, and they don't breed true so, that is why she looks different from them. :)

7. PennyM

PennyM Crowing

Apr 17, 2017
    Greenville, SC
    I think she's beautiful!

Lovefarmanimals and nminusyplusm like this.
  8. AMERAUCANAS4REAL

AMERAUCANAS4REAL Crossing the Road

Nov 8, 2017
    Upper Midwest
    My Coop
    Or Amberlinks. I don't know much about them.

Lovefarmanimals likes this.
  9. Lovefarmanimals

Lovefarmanimals Chirping

Jul 19, 2017
    SouthWest Georgia
    Yes i think so now that i looked it up . She is looking more like an Amber Link to me also Thanks!

10. Lovefarmanimals

Lovefarmanimals Chirping

Jul 19, 2017
    SouthWest Georgia
    Lol thanks! Haha not sure :clap:jumpy... would be nice Wally the famous Walmart Chicken! Lol ... Oh wow! Really?! That's neat, i didn't know that you could also hatch store bought quail eggs .. haha yes she's a mix and Im leaning more towards an Amber Link .. good idea they may stop having a rooster around though lol he must of ran away with the girls

PennyM likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: