Can you help me out here?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mommafambro, Aug 9, 2014.

1. mommafambro

mommafambro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2014
    We are super new to the chicken raising thang and have 2 that I am not quite certain about the gender. Their feathers seem soft like hens, I dont see any spurs. They are about 4.5 months old but... they crow. First it was the white one now the dark one as well. Do I have 2 roo's or are they very confused? Also if you have a guess as to breed that would be awesome! Thanks!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dunedin

dunedin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    The white one looks like a white Leghorn rooster.
    The other one is harder to say.

3. mommafambro

Aug 9, 2014
    Boo even though the tail feathers are curved? :( Let me see If I can find another pic of the darker.... Here's one of her cleaning herself

[​IMG]

4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

If they crow they are Roos, sorry :(

5. mommafambro

Aug 9, 2014
    I've read and seen too many videos to believe that lol.. They may be but I just thought the tails would be more pronounced and the saddle feathers would be more razor like and shiny

6. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Well I really do hope they lay eggs for you even when they crow :), would love to see the eggs that come from these 2! Please update when they start laying :fl

7. mommafambro

Aug 9, 2014
    lol I hope!!!

8. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

Where did you get them from?

9. mommafambro

Aug 9, 2014
    From a tractor supply animal swap. They were 5-6 weeks old at the time. What is the earliest age that a novice should be able to tell hen from roo? Im going to need to replace these guys before my neighbors riot if they are roo. I have everyone convinced they are hens lol

10. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

How old are they now? Never mind I see the age. Some peeps can tell as early as 3 weeks, it just depends on the breed and the chick. I'm sure whoever swapped them knew that they were cockerels already! Some people lie just to get rid of their extra cocks!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by