Can you help me pick duck breeds?

tori8780

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
I am having SUCH a hard time picking out which breeds we want. I am thinking Welsh Harlequins for laying, but they are so hard to find and we really didnt want to use a hatchery cause we have to order 10 (we want about 6). We are looking for 2 females that will be good layers, friendly and calm. Then we would like a pair we can use to hatch meat birds. This is where I'm really stumped. Pekins? Rouens? Blue Swedes? There are too many to choose from! We placed an order with Metzer farms but are changing it because we decided to get some geese to butcher and now I'm second guessing our order of pekins, welsh harlequins and blue swedes. Any recommendations for a first time duck owner looking for both meat and egg production?

Pekins are the best meat birds by far but if your processing your own you can eat any breed (my neighbor buys my call duck extras and eats them). Why not just get all of one breed? Definitely get more than 2 hens though unless you plan on butchering all but 1-2 drakes before they get frisky.
Aprille

So far our order is 4 pekins, 1 WH female, 2 blue swedes and 2 cayugas, all straight run except for the WH. Does this look like a good mix for meat and laying birds? We would only keep one drake (cayuga or blue swedish) and butcher the rest with the pekins at about 12 weeks.

So far our order is 4 pekins, 1 WH female, 2 blue swedes and 2 cayugas, all straight run except for the WH. Does this look like a good mix for meat and laying birds? We would only keep one drake (cayuga or blue swedish) and butcher the rest with the pekins at about 12 weeks.
Yes that looks fine, my pekins lay quite well to, and Welsh Harlequins are wonderful. The only caution about blue swedes and cayugas, is that it is VERY hard to get the carcasses clean. White birds are by far best for meat.

Talk to your local feed store. Mine is ordering in 6 welsh harlequins for me, only $5 each which is cheaper than me ordering from a hatchery due to shipping!

Yes that looks fine, my pekins lay quite well to, and Welsh Harlequins are wonderful. The only caution about blue swedes and cayugas, is that it is VERY hard to get the carcasses clean. White birds are by far best for meat.
We plan to butcher the pekins (except maybe for one female to hatch out new meat birds) and any extra drakes (probably will skin them too)

Back
Top Bottom