Can you help me sex my Japanese Flock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by laceynoelle, Sep 14, 2011.

1. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    These chicks are a little over a month old, and theyre already getting different comb sizes. Im used to big chickens like RIR, Rocks, Australorps, etc, so I dont know if this is coincidence or what. Can someone with little banty/japanese experience tell me what you think?
    [​IMG]
    These are black japanese..is the one on the lef end a roo?
    [​IMG]
    These are the white ones.
    [​IMG]
    Same group, different picture.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly there are the oddballs. A Black tailed buff, two black tailed whites, and a Mottled. Im really hoping the mottled is a hen. He/she is bigger than the others, but porportion wise, her comb is as big as the ones I think are hens.
    So, if you can tell by now, and I think I can, then why? Is it because theyre banties? I thought it took a while to tell with them too. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Just based on the combs, I think you have one black roo and three white roos. All of the "oddballs" look like they might be pullets.

3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I agree with her except for the last part with the oddballs... It might just be because the camera is out of focus on the mottled chick making it look kind of rooish to me.. maybe get a better picture of that one next do a definate known roo an hen for a better comparison?

4. laceynoelle

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Thank you. Yeah, no problem on the pic, I took two just in case. Im not sure if its much better, she was really wiggly. But here it is:
    [​IMG]

5. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Okay thats a little better! SHE looks henish to me in this picture now! My Serama babies are like that! some stand all pretty and still, some wont stand at all an just lay there, while others like to try to fly away [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    I agree with one black roo and three white roos, but I'm still wondering about that mottled chick......... Also, are all the chicks the same age? With my banties any chick that is younger and/or smaller will lag behind the others in comb development.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  7. laceynoelle

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Theyre all the same age, but the black tailed buff is a lot smaller than the others. Do you think it could be a roo just not growing as fast?

8. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I would say the black one on the left is a cockerel - the center one a pullet - and the third one could be either.

The whites are three and three

And the last group are all pullets except for the mottled one. MW

9. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Quote:I totally agree.

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Is the black kept in with more roos then its self? Because even at that young of an age there is still going to be one male more dominate over another and will keep it from growing to its full potential until the others roos are removed or that one roo is removed into its own area. so yes it could be a slow growing roo!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by