Can you help me sex my Mature Guineas.

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Joe.G, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I am unsure there exact age but they are under a year old, I think one is a male and one is a female in the purple. The first three pic's are of my Original two, What color are they called and what do you think about them. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    The first two are a Pearl (the darker one) and a Lavender (the lighter grey one).

As far as sexing, guineas are notoriously hard to sex.

You can try listening to them. The females will make a two-tone "buck-wheat, buck-wheat" noise. Males cannot make this noise. Both sexes can make the loud screechy guinea noise.

3. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Do you see the size difference of the head gear on the two purple ones? I do think they make different noises but I can't tell, there so loud as it is.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Generally speaking...

The wattles often look different between the sexes. Think of them as 'car doors'. If the car doors are open, I suspect male, if the car doors are closed, I suspect female. Also, the helmet horn thingy can be pointier in males and blunter in females. The most accurate sexing is made according to their calls. Check out some videos on youtube of guinea sounds to help sex them. Guineas over a year old are much easier to sex.

I believe the color on the last 2 is royal purple.

5. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I think the Purple one on the left is a male.

6. JLeigh

JLeigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    The only way to tell for sure is to separate them if you can, and wait for each to call out. The female is the only one who can make the 2 syllable call, and you can look up "female guinea call" on the internet and get the sound - unmistakable once you've heard it. Wattles and casque sizes are sometimes accurate, but not always - and let's face it, you have a 50/50 chance of being right anyway.

I had a female who was so quiet, I had no idea whether she was male or female until I saw her lay an egg. Pretty definitive :). She remained quiet - even for a guinea!

7. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I know what the females sound like, i am unsure what a male sounds like.

8. guineaguy

guineaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    The third pic of the royal purples with the barred rock type hen the purple who is facing you looks like it is calling like a hen would the first pics are a pearl and lavender

9. guineaguy

guineaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Sixth pic

10. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Yes in that pic the one on the left is the one I think is the female, The one on the right in that pic is the one I think is the male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by