1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you help me sex my Silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Fuzzybottom13, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Fuzzybottom13

Fuzzybottom13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    East Bethel, MN
    Hello,

I posted this on the 113 page sexing silkies thread, but thought I might have better luck here with a new post. I also got a few extra photos. Chicken newbie here hoping for some ideas on my Silkie chicks. I've looked at many previous posts and have some ideas, but would love some input! Blue and White are around 14 weeks but are not siblings, Buff around 8 weeks. Thoughts? I've always thought my blue was a roo, and white was a hen, but now the white one has me confused due to a growing comb and behavior. The Blue & White have a little showdown every morning, bowing and jumping at eachother, but it seems harmless (no pecking, kicking etc) and get along at all other times. What sort of behavior do you look for in roosters (besides crowing of course)?

Blue Roo? - Bumpy, but smaller comb, definitely has some wild feathers coming out of his crest (although I don't have a great photo of it) and seems to have more solid tail feathers. "He" is about the same size as the white silkie, but was a smaller chick in comparison to the others I had.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

White Hen? - Slightly larger bomb than Blue, but smooth, softer tail feathers, a seemingly round crest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buff Roo or Hen? - Crest seems a little slicked back, but then again its all just growing in. Comb is pretty smooth, and tail feathers are still soft, but still growing in as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    1= Hen
    2= Roo
    3= Hen

3. Fuzzybottom13

Aug 7, 2013
    East Bethel, MN
    Thanks for your reply! Can you tell me what makes you think that for each one?

4. Fuzzybottom13

Aug 7, 2013
    East Bethel, MN
    Anyone else care to share their ideas on my chickens?

5. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    Blue- Roo.
    Streamers in crest, general roo-look... similar body/stance to my splash roo, as well as similar neck.

White- Hen.
    Small comb for this age, round crest, low tail, low body.

Buff- No idea.
    A bit suspicious on this one.. a bit too young to tell in my opinion. Should get a better idea in the next few weeks.
    Crest looks pretty "round" (no stray streamers) like a hen's... but comb is mulberry/a tad big, has a roo-like stance...
    Could go either way possibly.. leaning more towards cockerel.

6. Fuzzybottom13

Aug 7, 2013
    East Bethel, MN
    Thank you for such a detailed response!

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2 exactly my thoughts.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I think the blue could go either way.. I've had one trick me right up until week 16. I swore it was a boy.. but nope.. girl.

The white.. girl is my guess

Buff, very confident this is a boy.

[​IMG]
    at 8 weeks

[​IMG]
    22 weeks

Her comb was wide but not extremely large.

My boys that are 12 weeks old have quite obvious combs.. Do the combs look bigger or smaller in person rather than your pictures? Sometimes pictures make them look bigger than they actually are.

1 person likes this.
  9. Fuzzybottom13

Aug 7, 2013
    East Bethel, MN
    The blue actually has the smallest comb, but it's very bumpy. Does that mean anything? The buff doesn't have a very large comb, maybe a bit wide though, and very smooth. It looks more mulberry in the photo than it does in person.

10. Fuzzybottom13

Aug 7, 2013
    East Bethel, MN
    Can you tell me what about the buff says roo to you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by