can you help me sex these please

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rita2paul, Mar 25, 2017.

1. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    they are now 4 weeks old, maybe to early to tell but i have put some photo's up and see if you can help me sex them please.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    hello could some one give me some idea what they are please? i have 18 birds and need to know what sex they are soon, i don't want to wait until they start fighting, i have two more pens so i can separate the boys now.

3. nonk72

nonk72 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    From what I can see
    1,2,3,6,7 looks like females
    5,8 looks like males.

The 2 darker ones you will be able to tell by checking the vent (sexual part) when they get sexually active the males when pressing the vent will a foam like substance expel from it. It will appear to be a little swollen.

You should start hearing the males crow. The females just chirp

On the brown farrows the females have speckled chest. The males have a more solid color chest. The darker tabitin beat by checking the vent.

4. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    thank you for your reply, i have just found out this one is a male.
    [​IMG]
    it crowed at me when i went to check on them.
    i thought 3 and 8 might be boys, some had checked breast and now started to go light brown.
    have vent checked but nothing showing as yet.
    i have a few with brown bibs so i will have a few boys to deal with.

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'd say number 3 is a male as the spots look to be disappearing and the rusty colour taking over, but it could just be a female with funny colouring. If the rust keeps spreading then it's a boy. If you don't mind sitting and listening for awhile to your birds I have noticed the males, before they start crowing, will start to make a lower, quiet noise as compared to the girls who keep the higher pitched cheep. It kinda sound like the boys are going "Rib, rib" in a low pitched voice. If you can, take the males out and put them in a separate cage as they reveal themselves as then the less dominant males will take over and reveal themselves sooner than they otherwise would. Your darker ones look like barred rosettas - one of my favourite colours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by