1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you help me with ventilation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MerleMice, Aug 18, 2014.

1. MerleMice

MerleMice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    Hey there! My family & are have been building a decent sized movable coop, dimensions at widest being (H) 6' 4" X (L) 10' 9" X (W) 5' (though with the arc it cuts down on square feet)

Anywho, I'd like to know if the four ventilation grates you see (the brown squares) will provide enough venteltation/too much/do we need a different placement/more of them/do we need windows/etc... We live in WI where the winters are cold & summers are humid if that helps at all. Thank you for input!

*Coop is not finished yet, as you can see. We're going to shingle the roof with that white sheet stuff that's used for agricultural buildings, insulate the inside, & put nest boxes off the back (or maybe go the 5 gal bucket on a rack route).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    There are so may factors that can influence the amount of venting at a given time... temperature, humidity, wind direction, animal density...

I would suggest more vents up on the top on both sides and install shutters so you can have control. Adding window would be good idea too since light has direct effect on egg laying.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes, more ventilation is needed. But more importantly, your flock is in the dark all the time. Think you need to drop in at least 2 windows for a coop that size, just make sure you don't put one directly 'at' the roost bar as it will be too drafty for them when sleeping.

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

5. MerleMice

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    The birds free range during the day, & there is a fenced in portion that comes off the front that we are going to cover in that clear tarp during the winter so they have access to the outside.

Thank you petrel for that link, I will be sure to read up on it!

*I should also add that because it's not finished, we've been leaving the big doors open when they're in there at night. I closed them for the pictures so I could show where the front ventilation pieces currently are.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  6. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    This is what I would do. Looking at the back side where those ventilation holes are. I would take my router and cut away a full 50% of that top unpainted piece of plywood. Make the shape to your own convenience while trying to maintain sturdiness. Cover the open hole with 1/2" hardware cloth. To secure the hardware cloth to the plywood sufficiently, fabricate some plywood strips from spare plywood and screw them to the existing plywood on the inside of the coop, thereby "sandwiching" the edges of hardware cloth between plywood "vices". Don't get stingy with screws. Your plywood strips should be at least 1/2" plywood, if not you can use 1x1 lumber, or 2x4's sawn in half.
    The linked-to article you referenced is pretty good, but the ventilation holes pictured there are completely inadequate.

7. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    X2 !!

8. MerleMice

Jul 12, 2014
    Central Wisconsin
    Thank you! I was looking for a bit of the "where" to put the ventilation spots as well as the how much. I have gone over plans with one of the family members who is in charge of the machinery (I am general overlord), could you tell me if this sounds right?

On back side, two largish hardware cloth sections (there are support beams that divide the back up, can't split them), two smaller ventelation points that are near the edge, & roughly about half way up (if we put in the nesting boxs, they would take up most of the mid-central area).

On front side, smaller ventilation points that match the ones on the back, replacing the two upper panels on the door with hardware cloth, & perhaps a smaller area on either side of them, depending on how it is structurally.

Am I right in thinking that I do not want ventilation points close to the floor?

9. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    I think you have the right idea. Large openings at the front and back, up high. Try to keep the chickens' living and sleeping arrangements out of the direct path of air going between the two vents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by