can you help my baby chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenSchool, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ChickenSchool

ChickenSchool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I have a hatchling less than 24 hours old who appears to have a cut near her (or his) lower tummy area. Can this chick be saved? I have placed a small napkin over the cut area and swaddled the chick in a wash cloth. It didn't appear to be doing well leaving it in the incubator and I was concerned the other chicks might peck at it or get exposed to the infection if I placed it in the brooder.

Please let me know what I can do for this chick.

It's peeping, but not like the other chicks. It has little energy, but I did get it to take a couple sips of water. I'm hoping the heat from my hands will keep it warm enough for now. If the chick is unable to heal itself, my goal is to keep it comfortable while it's alive.

I appreciate your suggestions. Please see the pic below to view the swollen area. Thanks![​IMG]

2. bootjackfarm

bootjackfarm New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    Are you sure that's not where it's little umbilical cord was? I would dab a little neosporin on it and let it dry out in the 'bator. I've had chicks whom umbilical cords take a while to dry up and fall off, maybe it's cord got pulled off in the 'bator, or maybe it is a cut, hard to tell from the pic.
    Why isn't it doing well in the 'bator? Can you describe the symptoms?

3. ChickenSchool

ChickenSchool Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    I posted this in another section and found that yes that's the umbilical cord area. Never had one hatch like that, but this is only my second time incubating. After I cleared it out of the hatching debris, decreased the humidity, and put her back in, she seems to be doing much better. She's still not as strong as the others so I will keep her separated until she gains some strength.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by