1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you help my poor little emily please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Nov 28, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    hello,i have a silkie hen over a year old.shes always seemed a little fragile to me and she gets picked on alot.she seems a little off balance.shes eating and drinking fine.she eats flockraiser and gets oyster shell on the side.ive had her in the house for 2 days.she hasnt layed an egg.i felt her abdoman,but i dont feel an egg.she seems pretty thin to me.im giving her electrolytes in her water and a couple of drops of polyvisol no iron once a day.i was thinking maybe my roo hurt her.ive got a young silkie roo that still hasnt figured out how to do it right so hes kinda ruff.oh yea,her poo seems totally normal.so any ideas???? thanks in advance.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Seems like you have done about all you can at this point, Just keep an eye on her.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Was she on the ground, has she been wormed? Worms could cause weight loss thus leading to a weakened state.

4. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:yes she was on the ground.no shes never been wormed since ive had her.if she was suffering with worms wouldnt the rest of the flock be?

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i just scrambled her a small egg to see how much she would eat.she ate the whole thing..lol glad theres nothing wrong with her appetite.i saw some bugs on her.she hasnt been able to dust herself,so i will use seven dust on her tomorrow.im going to go ahead and de=-worm her.i will see if tsc carries safeguard,that sounds like a good product to use.if they dont have it ill get wazine.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They could all be wormy, Most on here worm their chickens. Mine free range and I've had to worm for round worms several times.

7. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:theres no egg withdrawal with the safeguard,correct?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I believe not, but safeguard won't get the round worms I don't think. Better read up on the wormers but most say to worm for round worms first the 14 days later worm for the rest. I was just told to use Valbazen and then 14 days after Zimectrin Gold. Hope she feels better real soon. just read that safeguard won't kill the round worms but when you kill the round worms using wazine or Valbazen to use the safeguard put 3cc to one gallon of water and leave for 2 days.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  9. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:i was just reading up on it.i think ill start with wazine then finish with the safeguard or ivermectin.thanks for your help.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just used the wazine on my flock next will be the Zimectrin Gold or safeguard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by