1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

can you help? please..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by johncv, Apr 6, 2012.

1. johncv

johncv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    louisiana
    what is the best way to introduce a new roo to the coop that has a current roo. The new roo is a small silkey, and the current; a large americauna. We tried to let the silkey in the coop and he americauna tore his butt up! is there any way to advoid this, or a better way to go about it. How do you introduce new chickens/ roos to the coop. Any success stories will be greatly appreciated!
    angel

2. how many hens do you have and how big is the coop??

3. johncv

johncv Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    louisiana
    9 hens the hen house is 5x8 and the run is 6x15 and is gettin expanded next weekend. they free range during the day and only eat sleep and nest in the coop.

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You can try to put the new roo in a dog crate in the coop for a week to protect him and give the dominate roo time to accept him and then only let them out together when free ranging and you can bw there to watch but, your coop is tight for that many at night with 2 roos.
    I had 2 Amer. roos and a RIR roo last year raised together with the hens. One of the Amer. roos about killed the other 2 roos when they got to be 5 months old. I kept the RIR as the only roo. My coop and run was big enough for 18-20 and only had 17 w/the 3 roos and hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by