1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you help the new guy…..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clockridge86, Sep 2, 2014.

1. clockridge86

clockridge86 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    just picked these two up last week, they our my first birds told both where pullets the darker one i believe is a RIR but am worried she might be a he……

the lighter one is a mix and 99 percent she is a she… maybe someone can tell me what she is mixed with..

thank you for your help[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You guessed right. One rooster and one pullet

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your dark one is a Production Red, and I'm leaning towards it being a cockerel. The light one is definitely a pullet, and appears to be some sort of Easter Egger/gamebird mix.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Dark one looks like a Production Red (hatchery Rhode Island Red), possibly cockerel, and the other bird may be an Easter Egger mix, definitely a pullet.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  5. Freerange Chick

Freerange Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    Holden, Missouri
    Looks like a RR and Production Red. My PR's are a lighter orange like yours. But I'm knew to this chicken thing so I could be wrong. Here's a pic of mine.
    [​IMG]

6. clockridge86

Sep 2, 2014
    and when we say for sure a pullet how do we tell, just so i know for future birds?

and what are we saying age wise 3-4 months? if so another month or so before laying?

7. clockridge86

Sep 2, 2014
    so 100 percent roo? should i just wait it out and see if he/she starts making some noise? the lady i got them from said she would swap them out if they turned out to be roos? should i take her up on it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by