1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you help with sexing Aracaunas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hooterville, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,
    This time I need help sexing my Aracaunas hatched from Jody's eggs. They are six weeks old and I have several rumpless, and then 1 with just 1 tuft. The two dark ones are amazing in the sunlight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no idea how to id aracaunas. Any tips?

Thanks!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The boys typically get 3 rows of bumps on their combs, so they appear wider than the girls. The female combs pretty much stay a single row of bumps on the peacomb. It is a little tough to say on the pics, as the combs aren't real clear. You can probably see that better in person. Also, you can check to see if anyone is getting any pointy saddle feathers yet.

Jody

3. Hooterville

Thanks, Jody--that helps alot! I'll see what I can find out today by looking at their combs.

4. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i cant really tell from your pictures, but i think they might all be pullets..

5. Hooterville

OH my gosh! [​IMG] All pullets would be like winning the lottery!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by