Can you help with this deformity? (GOOD NEWS on 2nd chick)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I have 3 Jersey Giants hatching today. 2 PIPd and are making lots of noise. The third was the one that barely passed the float test, hasn't peeped. and when I hold the egg to my ear nothing. I float tested it again this morning and it rocked. It just wasn't seeing right though, so I PIP'd for it (ya ya I know...shame on me)...and still it wasn't moving. After giving it some time, I inspected further and it looked still/dead - in starting an egg topsy it moved but listelessly, and I found it's beak...and it's head. Exposed brain. What causes this?

I have a still air set at 100 degrees. We've had several power outaages this incubation, the longest being 6 1/2 hrs. I hope the 2 working at zip'ing are ok.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Could be a genetic mutation. Could have been the power outages. Most likely it was the inconsistent temperature.

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    It seems most likely it would have been a problem in early incubation. The power outages were well over halfway thru incubation. I read soemwhere that HIGH spikes days 1-3 tend to be responsible. I don't recall having any high temp spkikes. I'll never know for sure...I know these things can "just happen."

4. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Good news amongst the sad. I culled the 1st chick with exposed brain (feeling it was the humane thing to do), but now the 2nd chick has hatched and is perfect. He's a gorgeous silver color with LONG chick fuzz. The 3rd egg started to zip and is at a standstill, but the chick inside seems active. I'll let him continue to work at it.

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    3rd chick is out! I helped him zip about 1/4 inch and he took over from there. He looks perfect.

I feel lucky to have these 2 healthy chicks. I had asked the ebay seller to package them a certain way and I must not have described it well cause a few came smooshed. So, 3 out of 7 made it to hatch, even if I did have to cull the one poor baby.

6. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    So sorry about the one that you had to cull, but at least you got a few cute chickies! Post some pics please [​IMG]

7. SherrieT

SherrieT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Barrington, RI
    Congrats on the healthy chicks. It's so hard sometimes to do what you know you have to.

8. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Once I find my camera I'll take pics :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by