Can you help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RostedDuck, Mar 1, 2015.

1. RostedDuck

RostedDuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2015
    Fresno
    Hi- I can hear a crackling sound from my duck. Its a lower than his stomach and it isn't with his breathing, I'm a little worried about him because I don't know if he is sick or not. Can you help me, please?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you have to pick him up to hear it or can you hear it with him on the ground? how old is your duck? and is he showing any other symptoms? is he eating and acting normal other wise. How long has it been going on?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/679797/cracking-sound-in-stomach maybe this will ease your worry.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. RostedDuck

Mar 1, 2015
    Fresno
    I first heard it when he was on the ground about 3 days ago. He isn't even 1 year old yet (I think?) Yes he is acting normal but I think he might be eating less.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you read the link I gave you? What do you feed? does he get grit? I'd try giving him a tonic try 1 tab of Apple Cider Vinegar in his drinking water 1gal of water. ACV does have some probiotics in it and if he's eaten something that hasn't set well you can try giving him some activated charcoal I'll get you the link to flushes.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  5. RostedDuck

Mar 1, 2015
    Fresno
    I feed him bread, duck feed, bird seed but he gets into the cat and dog food too. I don't know about grit but I don't think so. Thank you.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Grit is a good idea - my ducks' tummies crackle when they eat something like hickory nuts. I would back off on the bread if I were you - it doesn't help their systems. If he recently got into the dog food I could see that you might hear crackling. Please be careful, I know of a duck who choked to death on a large piece of dry dog food.

7. RostedDuck

Mar 1, 2015
    Fresno
    Thank you. We just have a big bag of dog food that sits out side next to his pond for our 4 dogs, its small but i will try to cut him off of things to eat.

8. RostedDuck

Mar 1, 2015
    Fresno
    I was wondering how it is bad for their system? I'm curious about my animals care.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Refined carbohydrates can unbalance the gut flora, from what I have read, and upset their stomachs. And it gives them empty calories. It is best to give them foods that are high in nutrients.

My own eating improved after I got the ducklings - I realized I was feeding them better than I was feeding myself! So I am grateful to them.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by