Can you ID my TSC mystery chicks~white plymouth rock~wyandotte? UPDATE

tazzy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
I bought 15 chicks last week at TSC. No surprise, I didn't quite get what I thought I did (buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandottes and gold laced wyandottes). I clearly have five easter eggers, and then two buff orpingtons and three chicks with white feathers and five chicks that may or may not be silver and/or gold-laced wyandottes.

Can you guys help me identify these chicks? For reference's sake, my TSC got them all from Mt. Healthy hatchery, so there is a limited number of breeds that they have available. The white feathered chicks, for instance, have to be either white plymouth rocks or white leghorns. I thought maybe cornish rock, since Mt. Healthy carries those, but I went to look at the 100 cornish rocks that came in to my TSC today and those chicks feel much heavier in the hand than my chicks.

These are 10-day-old pullets:

chick6sideview.jpg

This is chick #1 - either a white plymouth rock or a white leghorn. Which one?

chick1.jpg

chick #2 - this one looked just like #3 last week, but now its wing feathers are slightly different. could this chick be a silver-laced wyandotte, and chick #3 as well?

chick2.jpg

chick #3 - is this a silver-laced wyandotte? Could both this chick and chick #2 be the same, even with slightly different wings and faces?

chick3again.jpg

chick #4 - is this a gold-laced wyandotte?

chick3.jpg

chick #4 again

chick6andchick2together.jpg

chick #5, which is similar to chick #1 (same feathers, etc) and chick #3 again

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Last edited:
#1 & #5: look like my white Rock chicks more than my white Leghorn chicks
#3: Barred Rock
#2 & #4: haven't a clue but don't think #4 is Wyandotte unless its comb isn't photographing well, it looks more like a single comb than a rose comb

Last edited:
OK, I'll take a guess:

1 - white leghorn
2 - silver-laced wyandotte
3 - barred rock
4 - wyandotte face, almost EE muffs, and a straight comb - I'm stumped!
5 - the shape looks more like a rock than a leghorn. so maybe #1 is too?

Cute babies! Will you keep us posted as they grow?

Edited to add: Could #4 be a partridge rock?

Last edited:
thanks for the input! I, too, am stumped.

I will definitely keep everyone posted as they grow.

Okay, update two days later. Here is a new pic of chick #3 and chick #4 from my original post.

closeupoftwo12dayoldsonapril2.jpg

Any better ideas of what they are? I had thought chick #3 was a silver-laced wyandotte but now that her face is completely absent of any markings, I don't think so. Is she a Barred Rock, as many suggested?

And is chick #4 possibly a gold-laced wyandotte?

Both of these chicks came from the "Gold-Laced Wyandotte" bin at TSC.

(Edited to say, I'm only asking about the two big chicks in this pic, not the tiny ones. Those are black jersey giants, light brahmas and buff orpingtons.)

Last edited:
#3 is definitely a barred rock. #4 could be a golden-laced wyandotte, just with an off comb. It happens occasionally, and they say fertility is better with single combed birds than rose combed birds, so it's not a bad thing to keep one around.

The one that has the barring looks just like my Dominique chick. Look at my page and you can compare. One thing about Dominiques is that they have a rose comb not a single comb like a barred rock.

Okay, I am also fairly new to chickens but have researched many breeds trying to learn what was out there etc, etc. Could your chick number 3 be a sex link boy? I know black sex link males are separated by birth b/c they have large white spots on the back of their heads and they also develop barring as they grow older. I am just throwing that out there, I am not sure if the white dots on the back of the head is normal for other barred rock chicks or not. Good luck on identification !! I too have several mystery chicks from TSC i am trying to identify. I have heard that Ideal provides for some of the TSC, then your hatchery you mention, and I think there may even be a 3rd. I got mine from a TSC in East Tennessee. Where abouts are you located? Wonder if they get chicks from the same suppliers?

wow, i rambled. . . . sorry about that guys

Back
Top Bottom