Can you ID these chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickyDee, Apr 10, 2009.

1. ChickyDee

ChickyDee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Atlanta
    I picked up these black chicks from TSC and they were only labeled 'Assorted Pullets'. I am pretty sure the white ones are White Leghorns but I don't know what the black ones are. I have checked Feathersite and found about 5 different breeds that look similar to my chicks and now I am so confused and also so curious as to what I have! The pictures aren't great since I took them under the red heat light, so if I need to I will take some better pictures tomorrow. These pictures were taken a few days ago before I went on vacation, now that I am back the black chicks feathers have come in enough to notice that they have a slight white/black barring to them that is more pronounced on one than the other. One black chick has black only on the front of it's legs while the other seems to have all black legs. I would appreciate any help with identifying these mystery chicks! Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Looks like white leghorns and a barred rock to me. Cute babies!

The black one could be a dominique, depending on its comb type. If the comb is completely flat, it's a dominique. If it's got a single comb, with the line of little bumps from front to back, it's a barred rock.

If it was in the pullet bin, it's most likely not a black sex link, since it would be a male with that coloring.

It's not a cuckoo marans, because of the dark legs.

So I'm thinking that you've got a barred rock pullet there.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Barred Rock pullet w/ white leghorns.

4. ChickyDee

ChickyDee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Atlanta
    Thank you so much! I am so excited to have a couple of Barred Rocks! So far they have been much more docile than the Leghorns who are a bit skittish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by