Can you identify my day-old bantams?

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
Hello! I hatched some random pure bred bantams (from separated pens) that I had purchased. Now, the tricky thing is that the eggs weren't labeled so I have no idea what pen they are from! Some of them look exactly alike, so I'll only take pictures of a few to avoid duplicates:

Bantam Type 1: No feathers on legs, black beak and dark legs. Four toes.

Bantam Type 2: No feathers on legs, legs are lighter in color. Four toes. They look like little penguins!

Bantam Type 3: TINY chipmunk-looking chick!

And lastly, a group shot of the babies! As you can see, I think I ended up with three Type 1's and three Type 2's and one Type 3.

Any help in identifying the breeds would be much appreciated!

Hello! I hatched some random pure bred bantams (from separated pens) that I had purchased. Now, the tricky thing is that the eggs weren't labeled so I have no idea what pen they are from! Some of them look exactly alike, so I'll only take pictures of a few to avoid duplicates: Bantam Type 1: No feathers on legs, black beak and dark legs. Four toes. Bantam Type 2: No feathers on legs, legs are lighter in color. Four toes. They look like little penguins! Bantam Type 3: TINY chipmunk-looking chick! And lastly, a group shot of the babies! As you can see, I think I ended up with three Type 1's and three Type 2's and one Type 3. Any help in identifying the breeds would be much appreciated!
Do you know what breeds the breeder has at all? That will help

Yes, if you know what breeds they have, that would help. Also, if you could tell us what type of combs they have, that would be helpful as well. It looks like the chipmunk colored one has a single comb, and the others don't seem to have a visible comb. Is that correct?

Yes, if you know what breeds they have, that would help. Also, if you could tell us what type of combs they have, that would be helpful as well. It looks like the chipmunk colored one has a single comb, and the others don't seem to have a visible comb. Is that correct?

That is correct! I will have to take more pictures when I get home. The breeder has a variety of breeds, in separated pens: Dutch, Old English, Serama, Japanese, Cochin, Silkie, black Rose Comb.... whew! No feathered legs or feet though, so that rules a few of them out.

Chipmunk has a single comb.

I can't really tell with the others, but I will double check when I get home.

The chipmunk looking chick is either a Black Breasted Red Old English Game or a Light Brown Dutch bantam. I'm not sure about the other chicks, though--black chicks are extremely hard to tell apart. However, if the first black chick has a rose comb, it is probably a Black Rosecomb.

Back
Top Bottom