can you identify this chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sbkdownunder, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sbkdownunder

sbkdownunder New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    I had 2 of these given to me, but they don't look like anything I know. Also none of their feathers are pointy, but their legs are very long and the colouring... I am not sure if I am looking at boys or girls. though I have a slight suspicion that Flowerpetal and Princess should really be Tom and Harry. Any help identifying the breed/cross and sex would be greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Don't suppose you know how old they are?

The first one looks like a birchen marans roo, but clean legged. I'm not a marans person, so don't know if that's good or bad?

Can you get a better pic of the second bird? A nice profile shot like the first would be great!

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    from the saddle feathers I'd say that both of them boys are 3 to 4 months old

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    both cockerel mixes

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Very confusing,
    pic 1 the tail looks boyish but the main feathers aren't pointed at all, face looks like a hen not juvi-male
    pic2 not a great photo- can't see the tail well but almost looks like sickle feathers, face deffinitely looks like a hen.

I'm really not sure, but I think I'm almost going to go with both being hens.

Edit:
    If you gave the age, I'm pretty sure someone can give a deffinite answer to you.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  6. sbkdownunder

sbkdownunder New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    thanks, yes, i thought they may be boys, - my daughter wil be very upset if that is the case, here is a better picture of the second one, thanks.[​IMG]

7. AraucanaAnnie

AraucanaAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

The first one looks like a Norfolk Gray hen, but it's saddles are saying roo and Norfolks are SO rare!

8. sbkdownunder

sbkdownunder New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    i've had them 13 week and they looked small but had a set of feathers when i got them see pics, so i'd think they are between 4 and 5 months old?[​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, mixed breed cockerels.

10. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Shoot, at that age they are probably cockerals. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by