1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you identify this? Copper Purse?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Imp, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So to get out of the house this afternoon I went to check out the local Goodwill. (I've lived here 14 years and just found it.)
    And I came across this interesting thing. I have never seen anything like it. It's copper on the outside. Round, hinged w/ 2 handles and 2 latches. It is supposed to look hammered, but is obviously not hand hammered. Apparently it is meant to carry something around, but I have no clue.
    Any ideas?
    [​IMG]

Open
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking

Imp

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Specialty cookware accessory for cooking Portuguese Cataplana Pan serves up to 4 people Cataplana works on same principle as pressure cooker but without the safety valve Broad, dome shaped dish Tin lined copper construction Hinged lid Cataplana can be used for large number of Portuguese dishes, especially those from Algarve Use it to cook chicken, meat, fish, and vegetables Can be used in oven, but more often on stove top Made in Portugal Hand wash only As paella and tapas identify with Spain, the same holds true for the Portuguese Cataplana. The name represents both the recipe and the vessel in which it is cooked. A cataplana works on the same principle as the modern pressure cooker, and is ideal for creating all types of dishes. The most famous of these dishes is called the 'Ameijoas na Cataplana' or Clams with Sausage and tomatoes.

I'm one of those people that knows lots of weird, totally useless pieces of information that occasionally come in handy...lol

3. Camelot Farms

And, if you paid less than $100.00 you got a deal!

I think that they run around 150.00 new.

4. Imp

Ding Ding Ding! The prize goes to Camelot Farms.

I googled it and it looks like it's Williams-Sonoma, about $100 new. This one looks new, but who knows. I did not pay $100 for it. Rather $3.99.

It's a little ironic. I have a small collection of copper pans hanging in my kitchen. Some over 100 years old, some I bought at the local outlet mall, and some that are 50's collectibles. I told a neighbor that I was sure it had nothing to do with cooking.

Looks like I have something else to hang up.

Many thanks Camelot Farms

Imp- guess I won't be wearing it to next months gala ball. [​IMG]

5. Camelot Farms

WooHoo! I love a good Goodwill deal.

Nice one!

When I first looked at it, I thought....hmmm....the original Bento Box...lol.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:It's junk, send it to me and I will use is as a double dipper chicken feeder. [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG]

8. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    ha ha... Nah she doesn't need it.... You can send it on over here... I will put marbles in it and wake my children for school with it. [​IMG]

9. Imp

Guess I'll have to go back and look for another one.

There's another Goodwill the other direction.

Imp- surrounded by goodwill (That sounded very different then I thought it would) [​IMG]

10. nonseq

nonseq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Oh! Nice find!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by