1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you identify this crooked beak?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mochicken, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Can you tell me what it is? It has a pretty severe crooked beak and is smaller than the others the same age but it is doing well. I have always assumed it was a pullet but not sure what breed it is even?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I am no expert, but it looks a little Orloffish

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    EE roo and good luck with the beak, deep food and water dishes help alot and you might have to trim the beak some.

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have a little cochinX rooster with a beak that is just as crooked and he does fine....I feed him out of a deep dish and he follows me around in the morning until I feed him [​IMG]

I agree that he looks like some sort of EE

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's an EE and a rooster.

6. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Quote:X2

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    And just so you are aware, you should not breed him. The crossbeak can be passed down.

8. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Quote:The cross beak CAN be passed down if the underlying cause is genetic. Many cross beaks occur during development in the egg. The problem is that you don't know for sure what the cause is and that's why they should be excluded from the breeding pool. When I first started here on BYC, I had many experienced chicken keepers tell me to cull my two cross beaks. I'm glad I didn't listen. They both do just fine as long as the food dish is deep enough. They're 2 1/2 years old and one of them is hatching out chicks this morning (not hers). She's the best chick momma in the world! [​IMG]

Oh, and you have a beautiful EE roo!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  9. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I was afraid you would say roo lol, that means my 20 week old chickens are 3 hens and 3 roos, I dont know what all my chicks are, I have 14 of them in different age groups ( 6 weeks, and 4 weeks ) hopefully they even the odds out with more hens than roos lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by