Can you identify this duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xke4, Sep 15, 2007.

1. xke4

xke4 Songster

Feb 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

2. mlheran

mlheran Songster

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

how big is it? it could be a call duck, but i can't tell the size. It's cute [​IMG]

4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    Looks kinda like a roun duck.

5. xke4

xke4 Songster

Feb 3, 2007
    this guy is a rescue turned in as a duckling in the spring. My daughter works at a wildlife rehab place and some lady had had him for 4 weeks and had kept him in her daughter's bedroom. As he didn't look like our Mallards or our Wood Ducks we waited to see how he matured but still are not confident in our identification. He is larger than a mallard and has a dark brown head, a faint white ring around his neck and taupe/brown feathers on his body. I wondered about a Buff. He was totally imprinted when he arrived but the girls worked really hard at reversing this process and were quite successful. He was wounded about 3 weeks ago by we think a red-tailed hawk and required an anaesthetic and suturing of a 5" gash. Fully recovered from that, I released him on my pond with my 2 Wood Ducks and my Mallard (same age) and he thrived down there until yesterday when it became apparent that he can get enough height to fly over the pond but not long distances cuz the others have left him behind. I was able to catch him bare handed just now and I will return him to my duck pen safe from raccoons and coyotes. You can check out my webpage www.freewebs.com/cragganmore to read more duck/animal stories or check out the rehab site www.salthaven.org for some really interesting stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: