Can you identify this neighborhood stray?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LRG, Jan 19, 2010.

1. LRG

LRG Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Lancaster county, PA
    So one very windy day last week my neighbor behind my house calls and says she thinks one of my chickens is down in her yard. I go down and look at my coop and all 4 of my hens are in their run. I head down to the neighbor's yard and see the chicken she is talking about. Not mine, but definitely not one of my next door neighbor's banties either. This one is a standard sized hen, a little larger than mine, heavily barred black and white with yellow legs. Since then she has been hanging out in my yard mostly around my coop. We think she may have escaped from a commercial farm somewhere.

Here she is hanging out with my speckled sussex hens:
    [​IMG]

This is the best shot I could get of her. She doesn't have much of a comb and her face appears to be a light pink color:
    [​IMG]

Any idea of what she is?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    She looks like my Barred Rock. I think the Cuckoo Marans is also black/white barred and now that I think of it, one of them has yellow legs and one black and now I can't remember which is which. Mine is a hatchery BR so doesn't necessarily conform to breed standards.

3. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Hooray for the refugee! Are you going to keep her? [​IMG]

4. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That hen is an explorer! [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Ditto...

6. LRG

LRG Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Lancaster county, PA
    I was leaning toward barred rock, too, but that would be an unusual breed for a commercial farm I thought. Doesn't respond like a yard raised bird. She completely ignores me when I throw scratch, unlike my hens who are constantly underfoot if they think there is any chance of a treat. Of course my next door neighbors allow their kids to throw rocks at their own banties so who knows what it was like where she came from. She is obviously missing her flock since she hovers around mine. The funny thing is that if I let mine out to freerange then she keeps her distance. My hubby actually grabbed her one day and threw her in the run with the other hens. Ours started to mob her so he took her out. We've been trying to provide a safe haven in our yard as opposed to the neighbors (already caught their kids throwing rocks at her). My kids have named her Miracle as in it's a miracle she's survived.

7. muttly

muttly Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    wasatch mtns.
    I would say a Dominique, look how her tail resembles an inverted V and how she lacks much of a butt and a small rose comb. I would say finders keepers!

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    She looks like my Barrred Rock girls.

9. LRG

LRG Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Lancaster county, PA
    Thanks for the help everyone. Seems like barred rock (or barred rock crossbreed?) is most likely. Dominique or marans would be highly unusual around here as most chickens are classed as either "production" or "layer". We would have liked to have gotten our chicks locally last year, but the only ones we could find that were identified as to breed were silkies. Go figure! Tyson chicken plant just down the road, multiple commercial egg farms in my area, but no one had any of the ones we were interested in. Several local farmers had chicks for sale, but when asked what they were responded "chickens". [​IMG] Amish/mennonite humor I guess! We'll try to keep Miracle safe for now (many red-tails flying around and of course, the rock wielding neighbor kids) and if she survives see if we can't get her settled in with our flock.

10. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    I think if you continue to let her hang around outside the run and allow them to free range together, she will be accepted soon. What a lucky chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by