Can you induce broodiness?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hallerlake, Sep 25, 2010.

1. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    If I wanted to buy eggs, could I just put them under an orpington hen? Would she sit on them for the required amount of time, or do I have to wait until she decides to go broody? Thank you.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You've got to wait until her broody hormones kick in.

3. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    X2

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not only do you have to wait "until" her hormones kick in and she decides to go broody on her own schedule, you have to wait to see IF she goes broody. Not all Orpingtons go broody!

There are plenty of BYC members who have been hoping and waiting for likely hens in their flocks to go broody, and waited for a very long time. Some just don't get broody hens. Others get broody hens and want to "break" them from their broodiness, because they don't want to lose the egg production for 3 weeks of incubation plus 4 - 6 weeks of raising the chicks. Or they don't even have roosters so the broody hen is setting on NOTHING which will hatch, so they want to break them of their obsession.

It's totally hormonal, and so many hatchery breeds have been bred to reduce the likelihood of hens going broody.

You can't induce it.

5. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Darn.[​IMG]

6. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What breeds do you have? Some are much more likely then others to go broody. I have a several that have been broody this year (some 2 or 3x) and expect the same next year so if you're really wanting a broody hen pm me in the spring and I'll set you up with one of my extras.

7. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I have a buff orpington, French black copper marans, easter egger, and a production red. I figured the BO was the most likely to go broody.

8. Kittymomma

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My BO and 2/3 EE's have been broody. The BO and one of the EE's have raised three broods this year so I bet at least one of yours goes broody next spring. How old are they?

9. hallerlake

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    I'm not exactly sure. I got all of them as started chicks. I expect them to start laying any day now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Well, no, you cannot induce broodiness by conditions in the pen....Since these are hormones that induce this state, it's totally up the hen and her personal situation. I need a broody hen and I have eggs and no incubator space....But that's the way of life isn't it?!

Have a blessed day.
    Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by