1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you introduce unrelated newborn chicks to hen with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harlee95, Dec 6, 2010.

1. harlee95

harlee95 New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    Can you introduce unrelated newborn 1 day old chicks with hen with chicks exactly same age?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Yes, just stick around about 20 minutes or so to make sure momma is going to accept them and can handle that many. Should be fine. I have done it before.

3. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Yes! I had a bantam mottled cochin hen who had 5 cochin babies. I bought a silkie chick of about the same age at the state fair. Just sneak the chicks under her at night and she will wake up thinking they're hers! Just watch the next day and make sure she's taking care of the other baby.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Depends on hen (breed as well) and age of new chicks. Somme hens will kill unprotected strange chicks that come too close. Be very carefull until you see how interaction will progress.

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I had a Red Star hen go broody and she and an EE shared a nest and after their 21 days of sitting they didn't have anything hatch (even after I had to replace the eggs due to cracks or non- viable). So I went out and bought 2 little 3 day old chicks and tried to give one to each of them, well my Momma (red star) was wonderful and took her immediately. My EE Sally did not so I gave that chick to my Momma and she took that one also. So I started Sally over again with 2 eggs. Unfortunately they weren't viable either so off to livestock store for 2 more chicks to try to giver her. This time I waited til dark and slipped them under her, she immediately started pecking them so I took them from her and gave them to the red star Momma (2 weeks later) and she took them under her wing and is still out there with them. Sally I had to just ket her out and she stayed in there with all the other babies but she wasn't a Mom. So I moved her out to free range with the rest of the flock and she has grown back her feathers and is a chicken again. Haha

So I do believe it depends on the chicken, but I would try it at dark to see how it goes.

Good luck with your babies

Lisa

Btw. Sorry to be long winded up there [​IMG]

6. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Yeah, I guess it does depend on the breed. I was quick to say it would work, but I have cochins and they will take anything to raise: chicks, ducks, turkeys, etc.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Depends upon the individual. Try introducing the chicks at night by placing them under the hen. The sooner after hers are born the better. There may be some problem introducing chicks of another color. Introducing white chicks to a brood of black chicks may cause problems if the hen has already bonded to chicks of one color. Needless to say the converse is also true. With broods of mixed colors a hen rarely notices the introduction of "strangers." If you conduct the "adoption" be out there early in the morning to assure that the hen does not attack the new chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by