Can you keep a guinea hen w/ chickens??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pawsplus, Jun 28, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I'm considering a 4th chicken. One of my clients has both chickens and guineas so I could easily get one of either. I've always loved the look of guineas, but would 1 guinea hen be happy w/ 3 chickens or do they need to be with their own kind? Would the chickens pick on her? Or vice versa? Is the diet different? Thanks!

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:The diet is the same, but I'd get at least 2 guinea hens, just to reduce the chances of one lone guinea getting picked on by the chickens. If you let them out to free-range, be aware that guineas will roam a great distance if able. Our guineas wanted to always go in the neighbor's yard. We got them to eat the ticks and bugs in our yard! [​IMG]

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    OK. Mine do not free-range (too unsafe) and I don't want more than 1. So maybe I'll stick w/ chooks. [​IMG]

4. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    If you do change your mind, pawsplus, I've kept guineas and chickens together for years. It's like they don't even see each other. So much so, that I've often gone into the coop in the evening to find my barred rock (the self-appointed chief chicky in charge) sitting on top of a guinea if that guinea happened to be in Alexandria's "spot." [​IMG]

When I added a rooster to my flock, I was initially concerned that there might be friction between him and the guinea guys, but I've never had a problem on that count either.

Where in middle TN are you? I'll be winging through your area Sunday or Monday - tractor on a trailer behind me, chickens in the bed of the truck, chocolate lab keeping me company in the cab, and something loud out of the radio. If you give me a general location, I promise to wave on my way past!

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

You need to experience guineas. They are the clowns of the yard. Try it with one. Guess the problem is that it`s difficult to tell male and female. Ya never know til ya try...........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by