Can you keep a standard rooster with a silkie?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Fairy Godmartyr, Dec 6, 2013.

1. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Two weeks ago, my faithful little silkie roo lost his life protecting his girls from a hawk. When the spring comes, I want to replace him. Since the hawk seems to show up whenever I try to let the girls out now (which sucks, they were used to being out most of the day and now they are mostly stuck in their run), I was thinking it might be a good idea to go with a larger rooster. My only concern is that, out of my flock of 15, one of my girls is a silkie. Am I asking for trouble if I put her with a full-sized roo? I don't want her hurt, but I also don't want her eaten, and I figure she would be the most likely target. Thoughts? I've thought about even going with something like a Sumatra so there wouldn't be quite as big of a size difference.
  2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two silkies that are with two of my standard size roosters and 36 other standard hens! They should be fine, but that's just my experience.
  3. At a farm supply store near my home, they have a LF Polish rooster with bantam hens. I think it should be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by