Can you keep chicks outside in the winter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ruby Mia, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    My bantam hen has just gon broody and I'm not sure if I should let her hatch because it's winter and last time she left the chicks at a young age, but lucky one of my other hens raised them with her chick. I'm worries that the chick wound die because it's soo cold outside. What do you think?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've had broody hens raise chicks outside in winter with no problems or losses. The chicks ran around in all temperatures and when they felt cold they crawled under Mom for a warm up, before running off again. They didn't seem bothered by the cold at all. By the time the chicks are fully feathered (6-7 weeks) they should be fine without Mom. I'd say let her hatch some for you and see how it goes.

3. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thanks for the reply! it was great help!

4. ourFRUGALfarm

ourFRUGALfarm New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    It's funny how resilient chicks are. They seem so small and fragile but they really are tough. I have done the same as sumi. It was really cold then so in my hen house I hung a heat lamp over my laying boxes high enough it wasn't to hot. This provided some warmth and I found that it enticed my hens to stay in the laying boxes. I also noticed an increase in eggs but it could have been coincidental? Anyhow like sumi said take a chance and just keep an eye on her.

5. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    That's great to hear, thanks!

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    A friend of mine had a hen hatch out 6 baby chicks in the barn while it was snowing outside and she raised every one them, no fatalities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by