Can you keep female Button Quail together?

ChickieBooBoo

Cold Canadian Chick
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Canada
I'm not interested in breeding them so I wouldn't have any males, can you keep the females in a group of say 5 or 6?

Yes, you can keep all females in a cage together. You can also do this with extra males.
smile.png

You still have to watch for pecking and fighting whether housing in colonies. Whether breeding or not, these birds LOVE to be in pairs. I only in sell in pairs because they are happiest that way. I still get bloodshed with males together in the bachelor pen. I still lose one once in a while because he got beaten up. Hens the same way. I pair them off as quickly as possible.

I dont want to breed them though and I don't have enough pens to keep 5 or 6 pairs, I just want the eggs...

Yes, it's not 'just' with the opposite sexes that you have problems. You should be able to keep same-sexed birds together in harmony, but always be on the look-out for problems with aggression.

I've never had a problem with excess females, so I can't say from experience on those. But I've never lost one of my bachelors because of fighting. Right now I have 2 bachelor pens, one has 3 males and the other has 4. They get along great unless I add a new guy, then the new guy gets picked on.

Back
Top Bottom