can you keep herbs and/or flowering plants in the coop/run area?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rynanne, Oct 1, 2011.

1. rynanne

rynanne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Hi! I was just wondering if you can keep herbs and other plants in the coop area or the run area, or will they chow down and kill those too? Thought it might give them something to peck around and maybe some bugs to eat.

also, i was told that diatomacious earth is a good thing to keep around because of mites. where would i find such a beast?

thanks so much!

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the eat any greens in there run

3. rynanne

rynanne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    are there any greens/herbs that are good for them, that I could use several different planters to keep a rotation going?

4. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Herbs are pretty benign. Ours don't seem to like dill, they do like basil and don't touch the marigolds. I have never seen them eat the green onions (wife knows the name of those things I don't). They pick bugs off the roses but don't eat the plants. if you find something that grasshoppers like you'll have friends for life.

As a rule of thumb I would say if you use it to cook or make tea, the'll be fine. I would just plant what you like to look at. Maybe you'll come across a coon repeller.

Check local feed stores for de. Perm-guard.com has a list of distributors on their website.

5. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Ours won't eat the herb garden but destroyed it pretty well but dirt bathing all over it !!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They love grass. You could rotate planting areas with winter rye grass -- grows fast and is sold widely as an inexpensive cover crop. Of course you have to keep them off the planted area til it grows or they will eat the seed. Some people sprout seeds for their chickens. Wheat grass is a favorite.

You can even make small frames with screen on top so they can nip off the tops of the leaves but the plant itself lives longer, to make more leaves. I've seen a few of these scattered around a run, to keep them in greens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by