Can you keep just one Peacock?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by PrinceSandwich, Oct 13, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Can you keep just one Peacock or will he get lonely by himself?

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    It is always best to keep two, so if you don't want peachicks get two males.

3. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Its not that I don't want peachicks, its that 1 peaock won't need as big of a pen.

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I was just asking this very same question to my DH while he was home this weekend. He looked at me and said what purpose do peacocks serve? I thought he was being critical but then realized he was actually serious. When I was young my grandmother had a peacock a total beaut. by the time I was 12 my grams tried to introduce a second one because we kept telling her it looked lonely...well things didn't work out and they ended up living in two different pens. I would myself get 2 at least for companionship :) I am getting a couple chicks this coming spring, I cannot wait to have them :)

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Just give it a volleyball and call it Wilson!!! [​IMG]

Seriously, my grandfather always kept a pair.

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:A 10'X20' Run with a 10'x10' or 10'x8' three sided building at one end for shelter would hold a pair of Peafowl just fine.

8. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I have one Peacock. He just showed up one day. He is not penned and hangs out with the chickens. He sleeps in a big fir tree. Seems happy enough.

9. animalloverabh

animalloverabh Allons-y, Alonso

Quote:thats what happened to me once, after a while she walked in my pen of peacocks, and stayed there ever since!

back to the question, i have a peachick, who has been on his own since he was hatched, he seems to think human company is better then a birds [​IMG] . But that was because he was imprinted.

10. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Judging by my limited experience, I would never have just one. My pair were happy, however I just added 4 more to the pen and they are even happier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by