Can you let 4 wk old chickens run free outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OreoPlymothRock, Apr 14, 2012.

1. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    Hi. I was wondering if i can let my chickens roam free outside by themselves. they are about 3 to 4 week old chicks. Any Advice???[​IMG]

2. Sarahej

Sarahej Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    I don't have them yet, but the research I have done states you are at the perfect time to start letting them feel the sun and explore. Keeping them with you and safe from predators, of course. But, probably don't want to take my advice. :O)

3. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    thanks, but i was wandering if i can let them outside BY THEMSELVES. Like, not with me around outside with them.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Yes you can take them out. I would leave them with you like Sarahej stated they will love it.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Depends on if they will be in a place that is safe from predators...if not, then, there isn't any age where they can go outside without you with them. If you do have a safe place, then they could go out any time.

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I would not leave them alone just like I wouldnt let my little kids out alone or kittens or puppies. They are small and need you to keep them safe. I was outside with my almost 7 week old chicks all afternoon today and i didnt leave them and no lie 3 times a hawk swooped about 50 feet over them. I was there to keep them safe. If yours are alone they can wander off and get lost and then there are the dangers of cats dogs hawks etc. And they dont know home if they wander to far they dont know they should turn around to wait by your door so they can get back under the heat lamp in the brooder for the night. I would not leave them out unsupervised unless properly penned.This is just my 2cents though.

7. doubledfarms

doubledfarms New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    South Carolina
    MIne are about 2-3 weeks old and I let them out alone. I will go inside and do stuff I need to I just keep a check on them every 15-20 mintues. So far so good. These are my first chicks though I am not professional!

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I don't. I also keep an eye constantly on my entire flock when free ranging. We have so many darn hawks, dogs, eagles and now I'm hearing owls in the daytime!

9. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas
    [​IMG]Absolutely. Mine had full run of the coop and run at 3 weeks old. A predator proof 26x27 run. But I cant help myself but to go watch them throughout the day. I would have to put them in the coop at night. But yeah, as long as they are in a place safe from predators they will thrive. Mine will be 5 weeks old monday. As of last night they are putting themselves up at night, and here they are coming out this morning.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Lucky chicks! My coop has 8 one year old hens. My 3 little ones would be a snack if I let them in there. However, I did bring the chicks outside the run today to meet the big ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by