Can you look at this silkie wing please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Spongegirl, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Spongegirl

Spongegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think about this wing? I know the picture is bad but is this cuckoo? Hard to see detail but they also look a little frizzle. It is possible that a frizzle white roo got with a splash hen but I doubted the frizzle because the buff rooster is dominate. I say this is cuckoo from a buff roo and a splash hen.

I am also wondering...this chick was born on the 14th of February. It has one splay leg. It's too late to correct it isn't it?

2. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    Sometimes I wonder if what I say is really dumb because I don't get any feedback or replies, ususally. Guess I'll eat some worms. ;) How's the weather? I'm tired of snow and ice. I trapped a opossum last night because my Maremma is a dud and I'm really upset about it. What gets anyone's attention around here? Has everyone already discussed all there is to know and its just a matter of the correct search words to find the right answer? This is a chicken forum and if you are here and you read the post, you must have some opinion about what i ask. why not say something? I'll give a reputation, or whatever the 'thumbs up' is in this site, to anyone who posts in my threads and responds to me. I mean how about just a "it does look like a cuckoo" or "that definitely is not a cuckoo". Sorry, I'm just bored and silly and ive been reading and reading to try and find answers in relation to my own project. Im very new to chickens and am still learning chicken vocabulary. :)

3. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    To me it just looks like juvenile barring and not cuckoo. If so it will change as it matures. As far as the splaying, I would think it is too late to correct, but I've never had to correct one either. It doesn't look frizzle to me just silkie wing feathering.

1 person likes this.
  4. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    so cuckoo is barring but not all barring is cuckoo? and so what's things going to be like for this bird? Ive read about culling. I cant kill a snake. The chick can eat drink, hobble...oh my...it had been stuck in its egg. I guess this is why. I don't know I'm learning.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Looks similar to partridge to me.

6. Spongegirl

Jun 4, 2011
    middle earth
    Maybe it is partridge. How is partridge made? The rooster is buff silkie. There are was only a buff, white, and splash hen. So could this partridge be the buff rooster and the slash hen cross?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No offense, but maybe you're just too impatient on getting responses. You waited an hour, in the early am when traffic is slow on this site anyway, and started complaining about no responses. Doesn't really make folks eager to jump out and help you. Just sayin'.

That said, some basic genetics. Cuckoo is basically the same as barring. A cuckoo chick has to have at least one cuckoo parent.When a cuckoo chick hatches, it will be black with a white/creamy spot on top of it's head--that spot is genetically linked to cuckoo/barring. So, if you have no cuckoo adults, you won't get any cuckoo chicks.

The patterning you're seeing on the wings is a kind of pseudo-barring, it's seen on juvenile plumage on birds that are partridge-ish colored.

I'm not really up on frizzle genetics, so I'm not sure if the chick is frizzle or partially frizzle (is it possible for a chick to be partially frizzled?). I do think one of the parents was white, and that white bird was "hiding" other colors under the white, and this chick got some recessive genes for some partridge color. Not sure how buff interacts with partridge. You could google the chicken calculator and plug those colors in and see what you get.

1 person likes this.
  8. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    As far as the splay leg goes if you want to try to correct it then go ahead and try. Hopefully it can improve, if not and you choose to care for it in that condition then that is your decision to make. Maybe you can post a picture of it later if it is able to mature.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by