Can you make Muscovy hen broody quick?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pascopol, Sep 4, 2010.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I have an opportunity to aquire some rare waterfowl species eggs which are known to hatch the best natural way.

Can you make Muscovy hen broody on a short notice? My idea is to give her a nest filled with real eggs (chicken eggs) located in a spacious but fully enclosed pen. Will this make her broody in a few days? Than replace the chicken eggs with the precious eggs I want to hatch.

Would it work, or there is some other perhaps better ways to make her broody?

2. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Yeah just giver her a nest, put the eggs in her nesting box and maybe add some of her own to indicate its her nest, not someone elses. If they've got a nest they usually go broody that day, or early the next day.

What rare waterfowl eggs were you lucky enough to get? [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No.

4. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Yeah, what did you get that could be so precious?

5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Maybe not quickly, but if she is in a fully enclosed pen you can try putting hay or other nest building materials in a corner of the pen and slanting a board over it or by putting something like a pet taxi in with hay etc. (anything that allows here to kind of hide) you mi:D[​IMG]:Dght be able to get her to set. But at this point i probably would put them in an incubator to be on the safe side, just incase she gives the nest up for some reason.

I'm really curious as to what the eggs are? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Maybe she needs an estrogen shot to get going. Just kidding. I don't think you can get a duck broody on demand. You can try, but I would also go for the incubator.

7. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    If you give her a big 'ol nest she may go broody... eventually. However, she may not as well. Keep in mind while laying a nest a muscovy will lay an egg every day for 20+ days, so it could be a while before she sets. If you've got the eggs right now, It'd be best to find/use an incubator, IMO. Or, if you know of anybody with a broody hen/duck...?

Also curious... what kinda eggs?

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Oh the curiousity! [​IMG]
    The suspense!!

9. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Sorry guys, can't tell you what breed, cause then you'll ask me where did I get them from , and I could not tell you that, not cause I do not want you to have those birds, but I promised the breeder not to reveal his name since he has no more for sale this season and he does not want to be bothered with more inquires at this point.

When I hatch them I will post pictures.

10. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Awwwwwwwwww.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by