Can you make sex-link bantam cochins

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by monarc23, Jan 2, 2009.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Does the same color breeding technique for example RIR and white leghorn hens apply for cochin bantams?

Like if i got a red roo, and bred him to a white or a barred cochin bantam hen could i expect all sex links??

Thanks!
    Niki

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure, but I would think that it would work. As long as the colors are true. Red to white, red to barred.
    Do it and find out you may be on to something great.
    I think the bantam cochin as so cute.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    The color genetics is the same across all breeds so the answer to that is yes.

There's always a but.. the white used in sex link matings for production birds usually were selectively bred for this purpose, with several other genes involved for the sex linking aspect.. so it is not a matter of using 'any white bird'. You see, white is not a color, it merely masks whatever color/patterns a bird has. So a white bird can be anything under that white.

Plus there are two ways to make white birds- dominant and recessive white. Most production birds involve dominant white- that is why the pullets are red with white tails and spots on hackles- that's the dominant white getting rid of the black(it does not do much to red pigments, so that leaves their bodies red)

I think most cochins are recessive white so you won't get the same sort of "sex linking". You can use the whites only if you know the white birds have sex linked genes such as silver, barred, etc. Otherwise if the white is a red or something not sex linked, that won't be a sex linked mating at all. (recessive white tends to do pretty good job of covering both black and gold pigments).

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    makes sense thanks guys! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by