can you make your own feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HSerChickLady, Apr 17, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Is it practicle and remotely cost effective to make your own feeds? What i really want is a high quality, all natural, feed that they actually like. Can i make such a thing for 30 chickens without it being a huge ordeal? If it's doable i'd love to see others recipes.

2. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
  3. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    I make mine and they LOVE it! I have not done the math to see if it is cost effective but I only have 4 and I grind my own wheat for bread anyway. I am figuring it probably costs me $2 lb because everything I buy is organic. It only takes me 5-10 minutes to crack wheat, corn, and peas and put the ingredients together for 1 weeks worth. So many bugs lately that it took them 2 weeks to eat the last batch. I have read on this site some people formulating their own mixture and then taking it to a milling company. I feel the biggest challenge is storage because so many ingredients go into a batch of feed. I have no idea if this helps but I hope there is a little nugget of information in there.

4. Chicks on DL

Chicks on DL Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2012
    West Coast, Florida.
    Ooops, I meant that it costs me a little over $1 lb.

5. Cyndi in Iowa

Cyndi in Iowa New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    Chicks on DL-- I see you must be a city-dweller... how do you crack your own grain? We are on a farm (brand-new to chickens, tho!) so my husband has a big grinder run by a tractor... but I am wondering about having something small for here at the house. (we have 5 chicks and a duckling right now)

6. MsTigrLadi

MsTigrLadi New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    Morriston, FL
    I would think that a home kitchen wheat/grain grinder would do the job, or even a coffee grinder :)

7. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Thanks, i found a recipe in a book that i "think" i can find all the ingredients for. I'm going to see what is truelly available to me next trip i make to town. Then i'll just have to find a hand grinder someplace.

8. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    If your Chickens are old enough you wouldn't have to grind their grains for them. I have 9 week old's and they are on whole grains I have only 2 grains I need to crack yet. But soon they will be big enough to eat them all whole. The only time I ground their grains was when they were little.

Which book are you using? just curious. :)

9. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    OK, good to know. I had read something about them needing to be switched to it slowly so their gizzards can get used to the whole grains. The book i found the recipe in is The Joy of Keeping Chickens. The ingredients i think will be fairly easy to find and it's for a 100 lb batch which i could handle. Some recipes i've seen make way more than i can manage. I did find a couple other recipes online i might try if i can find the ingredients. I think my birds would prefer the homemade stuff. They greatly prefer whole grains over commercial feed.

10. WI FarmChick

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by