Can you mix Bob Whites with Conturnix?

Jerank

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
Title is self-explanatory. I have a 'spare' Bob White hen that has been rejected by all the other birds. There are no males to pair her up with, and my only option is to keep her by herself. But a friend of mine keeps Conturnix, and I was wondering if I could give them my spare female. I have no idea if they'd mix well, though. I know Conturnix are nowhere near as aggressively territorial as Bob Whites, but don't know if they wouldn't attack her, or she'd end up attacking them.

I would advise against it as bobwhites are aggressive and will end up injuring the coturnix. Occasionally some get along as adults but only if they were raised together as chicks.

Title is self-explanatory. I have a 'spare' Bob White hen that has been rejected by all the other birds. There are no males to pair her up with, and my only option is to keep her by herself. But a friend of mine keeps Conturnix, and I was wondering if I could give them my spare female. I have no idea if they'd mix well, though. I know Conturnix are nowhere near as aggressively territorial as Bob Whites, but don't know if they wouldn't attack her, or she'd end up attacking them.
I’ve had other experience because my friends had a bobwhite pair in an aviary/coop enclosure with a Californian quail pair, 2 golden pheasants and at varied times different amounts of Japanese quails ‘conturnix’. The highest number with bobwhites was 3 or 4 I think. They can go together well sometimes if you have other birds because then they’re not as aggressive. Considering it’s a female as well, she might not be as inclined to attacking them. (I’m not quite sure) but the main sort of aggression that I found was that they were more flighty and skiddish rather than attacking other birds. If she’s a loner I would advise something because she’ll just get... lonely. You could try finding someone who wants/needs another bobwhite? I can also see her not really fitting in so I guess it’s a tuoughy. I really hope she finds a home. 😊 @Quailobsessed
Edit: 😂 I didn’t see your comment. 😂

I currently have 1 Bob male in a cage with 3 female and 1 male regular tuxedo coturnix. They get along pretty well. I sometimes even see my little male coturnix mount him which I can only guess is a pure dominance thing. But otherwise the boys seem to ignore each other. We had one incident of injury where Bob being way more flighty, injured a foot when trying to fly away. And the other birds picked on him some until he was fully healed. But I feel that would happen in any quail flock. They were raised together from the brooder. I can guess that if they weren't, it might be a challenge depending on space and type of cage. To be honest, my female jumbo coturnix (in another cage) are much more aggressive towards each other. I think it depends on the bird. Little Bob was handled quite a bit, lives indoors and doesn't know any different so is pretty gentle with the other birds as a result.

Attachments

• 20200723_164138.jpg
    20200723_164138.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom