Can you mix breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mnm, Apr 20, 2008.

1. mnm

mnm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hey,
    I was just wondering weather or not you could have two breeds in the same coop, and if there are particular breeds that do:hugs or do not [​IMG] go good together, what are they?
    thanks
    mnm [​IMG]

2. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I was told that if you get them all as chicks it's like they've gone to preschool together and will be fine. Of course I'm getting some polish's and I hear they get picked on a lot.
    I'll let you know~
    Pat

3. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Polish sometimes get picked on because they can not see very well because of they top knot .

Mindy

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  4. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Someone told me to pluck the feathers around their eyes and so when they see another chicken coming they can run![​IMG]

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    RE: Polish-I have seen several post on this board over time suggesting either plucking or cutting Polish crest feathers so they don't get picked on. Here's my question-why have Polish if you're going to remove their most prominent identifying characteristic.

6. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    No problem mixing breeds unless you want to hatch purebreed chicks. They will breed indiscriminately. I have all breeds and sizes,including bantams as well as standards. I even hve one guinea in there.

7. mnm

mnm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Cool, thanks!!
    [​IMG]

8. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Yeah I have a mixed flock too and the only problem is that the polish does get picked on a little by the younger roosters. But I have a turken, a few wyandottes and some buff orps and some others all mixed up. So yeah, you can mix breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by