Can you mix these guys!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lovin my birds, Jun 20, 2011.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    So I am wanting to get another rooster and I found an add on craigslist. It is listed for a Yokohama Rooster that is a year old and from hatchery stock. I dont care if he is from a hatchery because I dont do any breeding. Anyway my question is can they be housed with other roosters? I have a Buff Orp Roo that is very sweet and has had other roosters with him before. But I dont know anything about Yokohamas so will it be okay for them to be together?

2. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I do not have Buff Orpingtons, but did look into getting them & did some research. If I were to have only ONE rooster (I don't keep a rooster currently), it would probably be a Buff O. My understanding is these are extremely docile chickens, including the Roos. The information I read said that if you mix other breeds with Buff Os, the Buff Os will almost always come out on the losing end due to their unassertive nature.

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I'd have to say it's really a craps shoot. It totally depends on the individual birds and the circumstances. Generalizations about breed characteristics can only take you so far... There's simply no way to know for sure until you put them together. For example, Dark Cornish roosters and RIR roosters are both known to often be aggressive. I had an very aggressive DC rooster, who sired a son who is half RIR. But he just happens to be the best, most well-behaved rooster I've had in a long time. the moral of the story being: you can't stereotype! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by