Can you move a coop?

jenn22712

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2016
I have a coop with a hen that goes in a night in her own. Now that winter is coming I want to move the coop to a sunnier spot on the lawn or in our open garage. If I do so will she still know where to go in at night?

Not sure how far you intend on moving the coop. Is it just a few feet or on the opposite side of the property? I know when I was a kid I had a neighbor who, when it was time to move the pullets to the hen house, she would move the pullet house 10 or 15 feet per day until it was right beside the hen house. As it got closer a few of the pullets ventured into the hen house and stayed. Then she closed the pullet house so the pullets couldn't go in and the remaining ones used the hen house. So, I guess if you move it not all at once you'll be fine. Another alternative is to catch her, move the coop to the new spot, and lock her into it for a day or two. She recognize it as home and will return. Best of luck to you!

I think she should be fine eventually. If she knows that is her home now, she'll find it after you move it and go in. Otherwise lock her in at night and than move it with her inside and keep it shut for few days. Once it gets cold she will "go back home"

Ditto on the....if moving very far you'll have to keep her confined there for a few days.
First time you let her out, do it late in day(an house before roosttime) so she doesn't go too far before wanting to roost.

Back
Top Bottom